Sunday, August 8, 2021

The Right Tools

 It is sometimes amazing what a difference the right tool can make.  While growing up, I learned a lot about hand tools for basic carpentry, plumbing and yard work from my dad and grandfather.  Using the "right tool for the job" was a mantra that many of you have likely heard and a lesson I absorbed early.  

When I was getting into model aircraft building as a teen, I started out with just a few basic tools, including an Xacto knife, paint brushes, household tweezers and toothpicks.  Soon, my developing skills were bumping up against the limits of my tools.  My grandmother lifted my modeling to the next level by introducing me to Brookstone, which at that time was a mail order catalog house that offered garden and hobby tools.  She would periodically ask me to pick out a tool from their catalog and would order if for me.

The tweezers and clamps from Brookstone in this photo are on my workbench to this day, more than 40 years later, and still help me regularly.



I have continued to add useful tools to my kit, with recent additions of specialized precision pliers and chisel sets.  I will cover the pliers in more detail in a later post about bending wire for details.  The modelers chisels have made a step change in my modeling, both from a level of detail and confidence perspective.  Here's the first modelers chisel that I acquired a number of years ago.


Micro-Mark Modelers Chisel #80893

This chisel, sold by Micro-Mark, has a very sharp hardened blade that is 4mm wide, with rounded edges.  I have found this much superior to an Xacto No.17 blade for removing cast on details, or smoothing out ejection marks.  The tool has a substantial weight and a ridged gripping surface, both of which provide good control.  It works well to remove cast on grab irons and other details from flat surfaces with less tendency to dig in or skip versus the No. 17 blade.  In some cases, however, this chisel is too big and it is not ideal on curved surfaces.

A recent post on Ted Culotta's Prototype Railroad Topics blog introduced me to another option for chisel blades.  I had been looking for narrower chisels with a shorter handle to use in tight spaces, and had considered a variety of options from several manufacturers that other railroad modelers had recommended.  Once I saw Ted's review of the GodHand chiseling tips, I decided that they looked like just what I was searching for, so I ordered the round and flat blade sets shown here (Ted also reviews some other modeling chisels that he uses in the link above) .


GodHand Flat Blade (green) and Round Blade (red) chisel tip sets
GodHand Power Pin Vice below

Both sets include five tips with widths from 1mm to 3mm.  The flat blade set is item code GODGH-BBH-1-3, the round blade set is item code GODGH-BBM-1-3.  Each set come in a sturdy plastic case that holds the bits firmly.  Be aware, these are very sharp!  The base of these tips is 3mm in diameter, and is designed to fit into a pin vice or similar holder.  Be sure your pin vice collet can accommodate the 3mm diameter.

I also purchased a GodHand power pin vice, item code GODGH-PB-98ST to hold the chisel tips.  I was concerned about my other pin vices being large enough for these tips, plus I really wanted a more substantial high quality  pin vice, and this one certainly meets those requirements.  It has a soft rubber grip, a good weight, and a spinning top.  The pin vice is well made, with a very nice blackened knurled steel cap and a precision steel collet.  The collet will tightly grip tips or drill bits from 1 to 3.2mm diameter. I like the short length of this tool for precise control and the ability to work in tight places on my models.  Other versions are also available.

These are available from HobbyLink Japan as well as other sources, including Amazon.  GodHand makes a variety of modeling tools, with many different chisel tip sets.  I found the ordering process and service from HobbyLink Japan to be very good, with reasonable and fast shipping as well.

I have been using these chisel tips with great results working on both flat and curved surfaces, such as in between the corrugations on box car ends to remove material with good control.  This photo shows use of a rounded tip on the end of a Tyco gondola where I have removed the cast on brake housing.



The rounded tip is ideal for working in this area, following the curves in the plastic.  Combined with the sharp working surface, it provides excellent control.  In a later post I will describe my kitbash of this "toy train" gondola into an accurate representation of a Texas & Pacific steel gondola, greatly helped by this superb tool.

I'm grateful for the skills my father and grandfather taught me, and for the appreciation of fine tools they, and my grandmother, fostered as I was growing up.  Having good tools that are "right for the job" increases my enjoyment of the hobby, and allows me to accomplish a higher level of modeling.

1 comment:

  1. I’ve been wanting to get a quality chisel set. Thanks for the tip about GodHands

    ReplyDelete

Happy Holidays & A New Years Resolution or Two

 So much for plans and intentions!  This past year has been full of  life's curveballs and my batting average has taken a big hit.  Work...